Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
dm83737

Alltel UM175AL showing as CD-ROM in Ubuntu; nothing in XPSP3

Post by dm83737 » 11 Aug 2010, 05:34

I followed the steps that Mark outlined in the article:
http://blogger.ziesemer.com/2008/10/all ... buntu.html

And now my Alltel UM175 does not do anything in XP SP3 (doesn't autorun the Alltel software, doesn't show up as a drive, etc.).

And in Ubuntu 10.04, it went from saying it was a USB mass storage device to showing as a CD-ROM.

What are the steps to get this back to the way it was? I ask as this is not my Alltel UM175 and really hope I didn't ruin it... :(

- dm83737

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 11 Aug 2010, 08:57

Did you give the modem a special command with a terminal program (like AT+ZCDRUN or something) ?

Anyway, plug it into Linux and run "lsusb". Look for "106c:3b03" or for "106c:3715".
If you find the latter, it is in modem mode. Check if usb_modeswitch did the switch (it does if it is installed). If so, deinstall the usb_modeswitch package temporarily and re-plug the device. What is the result of "lsusb"?

dm83737

Post by dm83737 » 11 Aug 2010, 16:59

Did you give the modem a special command with a terminal program (like AT+ZCDRUN or something) ?
I did the same thing that was mentioned by Ziesemer in the steps listed from the URL I gave. I created the .conf after noting the numbers from USBSniff in XP. I then ran usb_modeswitch and pointed it toward the .conf to get the settings. (I hope I answered your question sufficiently as I am pretty green to all of this).
Anyway, plug it into Linux and run "lsusb". Look for "106c:3b03" or for "106c:3715".
If you find the latter, it is in modem mode. Check if usb_modeswitch did the switch (it does if it is installed). If so, deinstall the usb_modeswitch package temporarily and re-plug the device. What is the result of "lsusb"?
I was trying to use lsusb last night and could not figure out how to use the parameters. Ziesemer says to use 'lsusb -l', but that does not seem to be an acceptable option now with the current version of lsusb; either that or I have no idea how to use it... :?:
I also tried 'lsusb -D 5' as it was showing as 'Dev 5' when I would run 'lsusb -t' to list the connected usb items, but I received an error stating that it could connect to 5.

I did get it to load on Windows XP SP3 by plugging it in when PC was just starting to load the BIOS before Windows even comes into the picture, and after Windows loads, it shows as a CD-ROM. But if I plug it in after Windows is up, nothing happens.

Thanks for your prompt reply, looking forward to more help (as I need it)

- dm83737

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 12 Aug 2010, 00:39

dm83737 wrote:I did the same thing that was mentioned by Ziesemer in the steps listed from the URL I gave. I created the .conf after noting the numbers from USBSniff in XP. I then ran usb_modeswitch and pointed it toward the .conf to get the settings.
You don't need to do anything of this with the more recent versions of usb_modeswitch. This device has been supported for years now, and chances are that the Ubuntu 10.4 installation of usb_modeswitch does the right thing automatically.
dm83737 wrote:I was trying to use lsusb last night and could not figure out how to use the parameters. Ziesemer says ...
Please stop thinking about this blog for a while. It is dated and only interesting when it comes to sniffing.

Just enter "lsusb". You'll get a compact list of devices that are attached to the system. Do as indicated in my previous post.