Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
dwmw2

Huawei E1752 needs reset(s) before mode switch?

Post by dwmw2 » 03 Feb 2010, 14:48

My father has an Orange E1752 (12d1:1446) which is behaving strangely. The CD storage device doesn't seem to appear every time. I see the interface in the 'lsusb -v' output, but the usb-storage driver doesn't show it.

When this happens, I see:
Setting up communication with interface 0 ...
Trying to send the message to endpoint 0x01 ...
Sending the message returned error -110. Trying to continue
After playing with it for a while, I discovered that issuing a USB reset seems to make it work. In fact, I seemed to need two resets in order to make it work reliably. After putting a couple of resetUSB() calls in just before sending the modeswitch packet, it all seems to be working fine when invoked from udev.

There has to be a better way, but I'll look at it when I don't have to do it over SSH and tell him when to plug/unplug it over the telephone.

I had to add 0x141b to the TargetProductList for this device.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 03 Feb 2010, 20:43

This ID is treated wrongly by some distributions (e.g. Ubuntu 9.10). There is an entry in a rules file named "option-modeswitch" or similar. To find it, do a "grep 1446 *" in /lib/udev/rules.d.

My recommendation is to comment the line out.

Thanks for the new target ID !
I'm interested in other details of the device though; if you like, run "usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1446" on the unswitched device, then post the output lines following "SCSI inquiry data" and "USB description data".

dwmw2

Post by dwmw2 » 10 Feb 2010, 14:57

Josh wrote:This ID is treated wrongly by some distributions
I had downloaded 1.1.0 and built it from source. I didn't try other mode-switch options (including the huawei mode); it was just using the generic mode.
Josh wrote:I'm interested in other details of the device though; if you like, run "usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1446" on the unswitched device, then post the output lines following "SCSI inquiry data" and "USB description data".
This will probably not happen till mid-March, I'm afraid. I'll try to get him to leave it with me for a while, next time I'm in the country for more than a week at a time.

rosydam

Re: Huawei E1752 needs reset(s) before mode switch?

Post by rosydam » 21 Mar 2024, 09:47

Enroll in the prestigious Fusion Mastery Academy, the forge where champions are crafted. Pokemon Infinite Fusion offers a comprehensive training ground where aspiring fusion trainers refine their skills under the guidance of seasoned experts. The academy is a crucible for excellence, producing trainers who will shape the future of fusion battles.