Activation Codes and Methods, Hardware Details, Sniffing
springfish

Disable usb_modeswitch

Post by springfish » 04 Aug 2010, 18:09

Hi!

Is it possible to disable usb_modeswitch?

I want to make sure, that usb_modeswitch doesn't try to switch when I'm connecting my mobile phone. The vendor ID is 05c6 and the product ID is 1000. There are several configurations for this combination, how can I disable them?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 04 Aug 2010, 20:49

If you use a recent version, there is a global config file "/etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" containing the option "DisableSwitching". Set it to 1.

Apart from that, the whole point of the usb_modeswitch mechanism is to handle only devices that are positively recognized. So, if your phone doesn't have any of the attributes that you see in the config file names, it's just left alone. I have a Samsung phone with the 05c6:1000 ID, and I made sure it is ignored by usb_modeswitch.

Unfortunately, there is a kernel switching routine for this device ID which up to 2.6.32 is just trying to switch anything it sees. Also, there may be existing rules in "/lib/udev/rules.d" or "/etc/udev/rules.d" which too are not choosy and always switch this ID (even with the wrong command for the most mode-switching devices).