Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
davidmore

Ethernet over USB 4G modem that is not Huawei nor ZTE

Post by davidmore » 26 Aug 2019, 12:46

Hi there.

I would like to know if there are 4G modems that function as "ethernet over usb" and are not produced by Huawei nor ZTE?

I know that for Huawei are the HiLink versions and for ZTE are the QuickStart versions of modems.

For example, on my PC that runs Ubuntu:

1) An "eth" interface is created for Huawei E3372h-153 modem with HiLink firmware version;
2) An "usb" interface is created for ZTE K4607-Z modem with QuickStart firmware version;

I also have other modems for which PPP interfaces are created and for which usb_modeswitch is used. I found on Internet the D-Link DWM-222 4G modem, but according to the details found online it works as a standard modem (PPP connection).

Thank you in advance!
David

LOM

Re: Ethernet over USB 4G modem that is not Huawei nor ZTE

Post by LOM » 26 Aug 2019, 14:41

davidmore wrote: I would like to know if there are 4G modems that function as "ethernet over usb" and are not produced by Huawei nor ZTE?
There are lots of modems which has net-over-usb using different kinds of ethernet alike protocols, every manufacturer has them. PPP dialup is outdated and can not cope with 4G speeds.
MBIM is the protocol to look for, it is supported from Win8 and has also good linux support.
davidmore wrote: I also have other modems for which PPP interfaces are created and for which usb_modeswitch is used. I found on Internet the D-Link DWM-222 4G modem, but according to the details found online it works as a standard modem (PPP connection).
DWM-222 and a bunch of other D-Link modems has support for direct net over usb, either using the MBIM protocol or the QMI protocol.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/ ... and#D-Link

davidmore

Post by davidmore » 28 Aug 2019, 10:44

Thank you very much!

That day I managed to access the link and see the table, but unfortunately the page is no longer available. I receive a white page.

Until the dd-wrt team solves the problem is there a similar table that can be found somewhere else?

Thank you!

David

LOM

Post by LOM » 28 Aug 2019, 13:27

davidmore

Post by davidmore » 28 Aug 2019, 14:46

Thank you very much!