Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
khatriprateek

ZTE AC2746

Post by khatriprateek » 29 May 2013, 15:44

Hi Everyone,
I'm a complete newbie to android and unfamiliar with many concepts. hence unable to follow all the coding stuff here.

My basic problem is this:
I'm unable to connect ZTE AC2746 (CDMA 1x/Broadband) using the PPP widget.
The settings are:

APN Name: MTS
dialler string:#777
username: internet@internet.mtsindia.in
pass: MTS
manual detection and deactivated mobile subsystem

It doesn't detect it automatically, so I have to go for the manual mode, then it does the following:

1) searching port... disconnected
2) dialling out... disconnceted (repeats it till I select none from the modem list of PPP)
3) if I click disconnected then the tablet shuts down

Now given all that, I spent hours on this forum trying to figure out what is wrong and I found some topics which discussed problems similar to mine. Unfortunately I couldn't do much (though I downloaded the terminal emulator and ran few commands)

I also saw someone mentioning that mode-switching not happening for ZTE AC2746 (my model)

Anyone active here, can you help me solving this problem? Please tell me, keeping in mind that basic problem, the first step (create some log, change some file, some setting tweaks) I should take towards this.

One more thing, when using Android APN configuration, we need to fill MNC and MCC codes but surprisingly that's not given anywhere in PPP widget settings. Is that the reason of my usb modem not getting detected?

Thanks!

LOM

Re: ZTE AC2746

Post by LOM » 29 May 2013, 15:54

khatriprateek wrote:
Now given all that, I spent hours on this forum trying to figure out what is wrong and I found some topics which discussed problems similar to mine. Unfortunately I couldn't do much (though I downloaded the terminal emulator and ran few commands)
Since you have read similar topics then I assume you have also seen which info was requested in order to diagnose the problem and I will therefore not repeat the requirement.
Awaiting your next post with something more than "It doesn't work"..

khatriprateek

Post by khatriprateek » 29 May 2013, 16:13

I thought I made it clear that I've done my homework and am not getting anywhere.

After seeing so many posts and so many solutions I'm confused(it would be really unfair to assume that I haven't tried any of those). I tried whatever I could from among various solutions I read on this forum, I'm not getting anywhere and am confused and want to start afresh. I never asked anyone to post the entire solution again.

you could have just pointed to the post which would serve as the first step instead of that piece of arrogance.

Thanks!

khatriprateek

Post by khatriprateek » 30 May 2013, 10:49

more details:

I tried some AT commands to lock my modem into modem only mode but none of the commands (AT%USBMODEM=0 or AT^U2DIAG=0 or AT+ZCDRUN=0) are working.

I tried finding CDMA commands for my ZTE-AC2746 model (19d2:fff1) but didn't yield any results. I also tried finding CDMA commands for the qualcomm chip ( that's the manufacturer) but no luck. It gives error.

went to troubleshooting page. checked the reference list for the devices and found a mention of my device there. I'm still not sure but I think it means that my device is supported, right? sorry for that but I'm that naive.

Now I thought of looking at the log. This is what I get:

Using port ttyUSB0 for connection
ATE1
OK
AT+CFUN=1
ERROR
AT
OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.mtsindia.in"
ERROR
Connect script failed

I tried changing APN name to "MTS" but got the same error. Is it because of incorrect APN name that this dongle is not working? By the way, How important is the APN name? somewhere I read that it is used to get the DNS address. Every blog on internet(in india) says the PAN name is "MTS".

If that's not the case then clearly mode_switiching is not happening. what say? and Please help!

here is the USB log too, in case it is needed:

PPP Widget version 1.3.1
USB_ModeSwitch log from Wed May 29 18:06:40 IST 2013

Raw args from udev:

No command recognized: . Exiting

thanks!

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 30 May 2013, 13:33

In most cases, CDMA connections do not need an APN setting. Some modems even return an error for the APN set command. Try to leave the APN config field empty.

Also, there are few devices that don't like the CFUN=1 command for some reason.

If the APN edit does not help, try to edit /sdcard/pppwidget/ppp/gprs-chat and remove the line that contains $MYFUN.

khatriprateek

Post by khatriprateek » 30 May 2013, 16:50

Yes, leaving that APN field blank works! Thanks a lot Josh :) that is solved. didn't need to do that $MYFUN change.

and may be that's a clue that it can work through android APN settings. or am I wrong?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 01 Jun 2013, 22:45

No, PPP Widget does not use the APN list from Android. There may be devices where it's not available at all.

Only very few CDMA carriers are using an APN. Your's does not - and the modem does not even know how to set it.

holliebarker

Post by holliebarker » 21 Nov 2022, 18:27

khatriprateek wrote: 29 May 2013, 16:13 I thought I made it clear that I've done my homework and am not getting anywhere.

After seeing so many posts and so many solutions I'm confused(it would be really unfair to assume that I haven't tried any of those). I tried whatever I could from among various solutions I read on this forum, I'm not getting anywhere and am confused and want to start afresh. I never asked anyone to post the entire solution again.

you could have just pointed to the post which would serve as the first step instead of that piece of arrogance.

Thanks!
Sometimes when we try to solve an issue by ourselves without consulting a professional, we end up in a worse situation.

A lot of people who have the same problem as you have tried to figure out the problem themselves and found that it is not an easy task.