Automatic Activation, Hotplug and UDEV, Configuration
John O

Novatel USB760, possible to query w/AT+CSQ while connected?

Post by John O » 18 Aug 2010, 18:33

With the Zoom 4595, it creates three serial ports, the first responds to nothing (though I've seen hints that it accepts binary commands for firmware updates). The third is the one you want to use for ppp... leaving the second one, which I can send an AT+CSQ while it remains connected, and I seem to get a plausible signal strength from it.

The Novatel USB760 creates 4 serial ports. The first can be used to connect with ppp... and the next 3 are completely unresponsive, whether or not the device is connected to the network.

Can anyone else confirm that this is so, or better yet tell me I'm wrong and that I can send an AT+CSQ to it?

Our application depends on being able to log signal strength, even while it remains connected.

If it's impossible with the Novatel USB760, do other models allow this, or for that matter... is there any CDMA aircard that does? Any help appreciated.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 18 Aug 2010, 20:30

I don't know the answer to your question, maybe someone else ?

What I do know is that all of these ports have interface class 0xff which means "vendor specific". And there you are: vendors can do anything with it ...

In fact we're depending on their goodwill or laziness that makes them implement standard serial ports for connection instead of proprietary ones.

I think Dan Williams (Redhat) & Co. are on to making diagnosis ports available in Linux, but I assume it has to be done specifically for every (chipset/firmware) manufacturer. There is a driver for Qualcomm diagnosis ports in the latest kernel versions if I'm not mistaken.

John O

Thanks Josh.

Post by John O » 18 Aug 2010, 21:23

Even your answer gave me more things to google, I knew there were GUI/X.org apps that managed these things, but I had figured that they only made prettier what I was already doing on the command line.

Having found Dan William's blog, I'm now aware of libqcdm, which allows one to send some binary commands to those ports, and sometimes get the information I'm after.

So thank you. If anyone else has some information, I'd appreciate it, and if you need help with the Zoom 4595 or even some of the others, let me know. I've evaluated close to 2 dozen models at this point, and learned a few things about some of them at least (note: Don't buy generic chinese junk at DealExtreme, it just *does not work*).

zhouqiqiu1982

Re: Novatel USB760, possible to query w/AT+CSQ while connect

Post by zhouqiqiu1982 » 06 Sep 2010, 08:03

John O wrote:With the Zoom 4595, it creates three serial ports, the first responds to nothing (though I've seen hints that it accepts binary commands for firmware updates). The third is the one you want to use for ppp... leaving the second one, which I can send an AT+CSQ while it remains connected, and I seem to get a plausible signal strength from it.

The Novatel USB760 creates 4 serial ports. The first can be used to connect with ppp... and the next 3 are completely unresponsive, whether or not the device is connected to the network.

Can anyone else confirm that this is so, or better yet tell me I'm wrong and that I can send an AT+CSQ to it?

Our application depends on being able to log signal strength, even while it remains connected.

If it's impossible with the Novatel USB760, do other models allow this, or for that matter... is there any CDMA aircard that does? Any help appreciated.

I am also dealing with this USB modem. I find that it can find 4 vendor interfaces when it first plug in, without sending any commands. but, following, error happes, logs are:
pro=6000, vendor=1410, index=0
Interface 0, type is 255
Interface 1, type is 255
Interface 2, type is 255
Interface 3, type is 255
Interface 4, type is 8
Interface 5, type is 8

Start get card info

# modem already switched
insmod: cannot open module `/lib/modules/2.6.15/nas/usb-storage.ko': No such file or directory
usbcore: deregistering driver usbserial_generic
generic ttyUSB5: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB5
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.5: device disconnected
generic ttyUSB4: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB4
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.4: device disconnected
Rate:71
generic ttyUSB3: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB3
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.3: device disconnected
generic ttyUSB2: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.2: device disconnected
BACKUP is not enabled, so we do nothing.
generic ttyUSB1: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.1: device disconnected
generic ttyUSB0: generic converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: device disconnected
Rate:71
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial deregistering driver generic
usbcore: deregistering driver usbserial
insmod cmd is insmod /lib/modules/2.6.15/kernel/usbserial.ko vendor=0x1410 product=0x6000
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.1: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.2: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB2
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.3: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB3
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.4: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB4
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.5: generic converter detected
usb 1-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB5
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
modem_scan 186 cgeneric ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_open - failed resubmitting read urb, error -97
info->interfaceNgeneric ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_open - failed resubmitting read urb, error -97
um = 6, cinfo->igeneric ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_open - failed resubmitting read urb, error -97
ntInterfaceIndexgeneric ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_open - failed resubmitting read urb, error -97

it seems that the ttyUSB0 is not for serial communication and the -97 means message is too long.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 06 Sep 2010, 15:18

I rather assume the kernel/module version is too old. But I have no way to check. Fact is it seems to work on current hardware/distributions, I had no error reports so far.

Maybe you can backport the usbserial or even the option module?

zhouqiqiu1982

Post by zhouqiqiu1982 » 09 Sep 2010, 17:19

John O wrote:With the Zoom 4595, it creates three serial ports, the first responds to nothing (though I've seen hints that it accepts binary commands for firmware updates). The third is the one you want to use for ppp... leaving the second one, which I can send an AT+CSQ while it remains connected, and I seem to get a plausible signal strength from it.

I meat the same problem too. usb_modeswitch works correctly and the ttyUSB0 is created, but when I send the AT+CGMM command to the device , it return CME ERROR, so i can not get the modem name. either the AT+CSQ .

zhouqiqiu1982

Post by zhouqiqiu1982 » 09 Sep 2010, 17:21

I meat the same problem too. usb_modeswitch works correctly and the ttyUSB0 is created, but when I send the AT+CGMM command to the device , it return CME ERROR, so i can not get the modem name. either the AT+CSQ .