Batteries included
ojuniour

Re: E3372h-153 PX5

Post by ojuniour » 17 Dec 2018, 19:22

Josh wrote:
madeesseetmoi wrote:Edit : the two next tests were ok, I'll continue testing
Edit 2 : on third test it was not ok, I had to use my usb switch. I had message "Search for modem"
Ugh, bugs like these are ugly ... I'd rather see a clear error.
"Works sometimes" is so analog ...

On the other hand, there is still hope that there may be a solution. This looks indeed like a timing issue.
I will add some options to the configuration to test this theory.
Thanks for dedicating your time for and on this amazing project.

blinkbp

Post by blinkbp » 20 Dec 2018, 22:24

Josh wrote:
madeesseetmoi wrote:Edit : the two next tests were ok, I'll continue testing
Edit 2 : on third test it was not ok, I had to use my usb switch. I had message "Search for modem"
Ugh, bugs like these are ugly ... I'd rather see a clear error.
"Works sometimes" is so analog ...

On the other hand, there is still hope that there may be a solution. This looks indeed like a timing issue.
I will add some options to the configuration to test this theory.
What's also odd it seems to be working fine more often on the android usb stack than on the native one for me. "Search for modem" still happens though. Often it would work when starting the car and then not reconnect after a dropped connection (I'm driving through a uphill forest road when commuting to work and there's no reception in places; lost handle messages are annoying when that happens though).

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 21 Dec 2018, 00:26

Alright everyone, there is a new release: 1.7.9beta

Some news: in the meantime I have updated my Samsung Tab S3 to (stock) Oreo, which I had postponed.
While testing PPP Widget, I once got the hanging "Searching for modem ..." on re-waking the widget.

I caught a suspicious system warning associated with this, and it turned out that there has been a system change in Oreo that may have affected the process of PPP Widget requesting control over a USB device (you have to ask the system every time before accessing a device).

See if there is any improvement with this version regarding the cold boot behaviour.

If there is no change, you can play around with the new test option "Delay". If you enter 2000, there is a halt of 2 seconds before the search for devices and before the USB permission request. Not sure if that does anything useful though.

madeesseetmoi

Post by madeesseetmoi » 21 Dec 2018, 21:23

Hello,

I made tests today, first I updated ppp, then I made connection.
Drived for about an hour.
Put car off for 10 mns, put my car on and got connected automatically.
Drived again for about an hour.
Put car off for 2mns, then put car on for 2mns and got connected automatically again.
Put car off for 10mns and then car on, again, automatically connected.
It looks very good.
I made no changes in configuration, only updated ppp
Will test again and tell you
(sorry for my basic English)

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 25 Dec 2018, 11:39

Finally got around to test it out.. It works great...but one major (or minor) issue. Since these units usually com with more than 1 usb port.. If I happen to plug in anything in any of the other usb ports.. ppp widget would stop working (by literally trying to switch the the newly active port) and saying something about "no modem".. until I unplug the anything on the second usb port and reconnect ppp widget widget and will start working again properly.
Is there a way to avoid ppp widget from switching to other usb port or at least save the current port. that actively has an actual modem ?
Other than that.. Everything works great now.
Thank you.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 27 Dec 2018, 00:08

Good to know that the original problem is possibly solved.

About the issue with the second USB device - I suspect a power problem.

It's worth to note that USB modems are power suckers, meaning they usually take the full 500 mA that a USB 2 port is supposed to provide at maximum.
Many embedded devices can't reliably provide this current on every USB port.

If a second device begins to draw power, the current is probably decreased and the modem resets.
It is then discovered again as a storage device (the driver install mode), but after mode-switching to the modem mode - when transmission starts - the current is again too low and the modem does not work properly, so is not detected.

You can test if this assumption is correct by trying with a separately powered USB hub.

To find out details about the mode-switching thing, see the documentation of usb_modeswitch, right here on this site:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

More about the power issue in the PPP Widget FAQs.

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 27 Dec 2018, 10:04

Josh wrote:Good to know that the original problem is possibly solved.

It's worth to note that USB modems are power suckers, meaning they usually take the full 500 mA that a USB 2 port is supposed to provide at maximum.
Many embedded devices can't reliably provide this current on every USB port.

If a second device begins to draw power, the current is probably decreased and the modem resets.
It is then discovered again as a storage device (the driver install mode), but after mode-switching to the modem mode - when transmission starts - the current is again too low and the modem does not work properly, so is not detected.

You can test if this assumption is correct by trying with a separately powered USB hub.

To find out details about the mode-switching thing, see the documentation of usb_modeswitch, right here on this site:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

More about the power issue in the PPP Widget FAQs.
Are you saying these Android car radio USBs share the same power rail? When you say I should test it out by trying a separate powered USB hub, what exactly do you mean? My stereo comes with two USB ports. One for the modem and the other for, like charging my phone and plugging in USB flash drives. So are you saying both USB ports share a single usb2 port providing 500mA pool for both ports?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 27 Dec 2018, 21:16

I can't say for sure. However, the modem behaviour is consistent with what I described.
I also have an Intel NUC machine (my self-made router) which has trouble driving my Huawei E3272, so I'm using a small powered hub when I need the 4G connection.

A powered hub is a USB hub (often 1 to 4) with a separate power adapter feeding it (should be 5 Volt, 2 Ampère for 4 sockets).

Just don't use a cheap China make. Get one from a decent store.

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 27 Dec 2018, 23:55

Josh wrote:I can't say for sure. However, the modem behaviour is consistent with what I described.
I also have an Intel NUC machine (my self-made router) which has trouble driving my Huawei E3272, so I'm using a small powered hub when I need the 4G connection.

A powered hub is a USB hub (often 1 to 4) with a separate power adapter feeding it (should be 5 Volt, 2 Ampère for 4 sockets).

Just don't use a cheap China make. Get one from a decent store.
ok so i have to get a 12 volt usb powered hub (either with wires out or cigarette lighter plug), then get a usb splitter (2 male to female) - female to the modem , one male to usb powered hub, and the other male to the head unit. Does that sound about right? I don't know if that would cause a combined spike in voltage. let me know

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 28 Dec 2018, 00:41

No, that's not what I meant.

First, I'd just check (stationary) with a USB hub powered by a normal wall socket power adapter. Maybe you can borrow one - the point is to find out if there is indeed a power problem. We don't know yet for sure.

If that is confirmed, you only need a small powered hub that is able to provide 500 mA on one port. Again: that is the specification for USB 2.0.

No need to use split cables (which is outside any specifications). One sufficiently powered socket should be fine.

madeesseetmoi

Post by madeesseetmoi » 28 Dec 2018, 01:29

Josh wrote:Good to know that the original problem is possibly solved.

One time I had to click on PPP icon to get connected when I started my car, otherwise it always got connected automatically

I also tried to plug an USB key on my second USB port, I had no problem.
I have a rearview camera connected all the time on USB switch linked to car unit so I think it takes some power, anyway I have no problem

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 28 Dec 2018, 01:43

Josh wrote:No, that's not what I meant.

First, I'd just check (stationary) with a USB hub powered by a normal wall socket power adapter. Maybe you can borrow one - the point is to find out if there is indeed a power problem. We don't know yet for sure.

If that is confirmed, you only need a small powered hub that is able to provide 500 mA on one port. Again: that is the specification for USB 2.0.

No need to use split cables (which is outside any specifications). One sufficiently powered socket should be fine.
I'm really confused here. How am I suppose to connect the modem to my head unit if it's already connected to an external USB hub for power?

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 28 Dec 2018, 09:02

ojuniour wrote:I'm really confused here. How am I suppose to connect the modem to my head unit if it's already connected to an external USB hub for power?
The USB hub is connected to the HU. The modem is connected to the hub. The hub has an additional socket for a power adapter.

The data lines are connected between modem and HU, but the power provided to the modem comes from the power adapter.

Just for visualization, I don't suggest building your own:

ojuniour

Post by ojuniour » 28 Dec 2018, 09:14

Josh wrote:
ojuniour wrote:I'm really confused here. How am I suppose to connect the modem to my head unit if it's already connected to an external USB hub for power?
The USB hub is connected to the HU. The modem is connected to the hub. The hub has an additional socket for a power adapter.

The data lines are connected between modem and HU, but the power provided to the modem comes from the power adapter.

Just for visualization, I don't suggest building your own:

thanks for the help. I think I'd rather go with a clean approach . I've already had too many wires tangled up.. Any recommendation?

EDIT: Nevermind i'll just deaded the +/- from the head unit usb and get the power from the hub.
I'll see how it goes.

madeesseetmoi

Post by madeesseetmoi » 12 Aug 2019, 20:06

Hello,

I just installed Malaysk Android 9 ROM and then PPPWidget.
I get connected without problem and can use Chrome, Spotify, Waze, PlayStore...
But, if I run TuneIn Radio or Google Assistant for example, they say "no internet connection".
What the hell?

Then I put Wifi On on my PX5 and connected to my phone by point access, I had no problem with Tune In and Google Assistant. So it seems there is a problem with PPPWidget :(
I had no problem with Android 8