Batteries included
joe76

ALCATEL Linkkey ik40 4g dongle-prepare device.no modem found

Post by joe76 » 09 Aug 2019, 13:28

hi josua or whomever can help.
i have a alcatel linkkey ik40 4g dongle (with active sim inside) that works normal on my pc etc. With regards to my android tv box (a95x max). the ppp widget 3 i installed on the workspace tries to search and recognizes my dongle but ends up not being able to. it comes up with 'prepare device, so its looking for it then it says 'no modem found'. the ppp widget 3 works fine with my ZTE MF112 3g dongle. but running a android tv box on a 3g dongle is hopeless, if you know what i mean.
i have the up to date driver for the alcatel dongle 'Software Version:IK40_E8_02.00_02'.
any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

LOM

Re: ALCATEL Linkkey ik40 4g dongle-prepare device.no modem found

Post by LOM » 11 Aug 2019, 16:30

I guess the problem is the communication protocol, the IK40 does only speak Microsoft NDIS which among other things means that it does not need any driver in Windows since NDIS is a Microsoft native ethernet protocol.
I'm not sure if pppwidget 3 supports NDIS/RNDIS or if Josh have ever tried to implement it, you'll have to wait for him to come back and tell.

A problem with RNDIS is that it does not have a defined command language which among other things makes starting/stopping the mobile connection difficult. There is no interface in your dongle for sending traditional AT cmds for administer the connection but there may be a web server in the dongle where you can do that when the ethernet connection to the dongle works.

RNDIS based dongles are rare and in general do not play well with linux or android which is linux based, they should be avoided if possible.

joe76

Post by joe76 » 13 Aug 2019, 11:01

I guess the problem is the communication protocol, the IK40 does only speak Microsoft NDIS which among other things means that it does not need any driver in Windows since NDIS is a Microsoft native ethernet protocol.
I'm not sure if pppwidget 3 supports NDIS/RNDIS or if Josh have ever tried to implement it, you'll have to wait for him to come back and tell.

A problem with RNDIS is that it does not have a defined command language which among other things makes starting/stopping the mobile connection difficult. There is no interface in your dongle for sending traditional AT cmds for administer the connection but there may be a web server in the dongle where you can do that when the ethernet connection to the dongle works.

RNDIS based dongles are rare and in general do not play well with linux or android which is linux based, they should be avoided if possible.

thx LOM, for replying to my post. when josh does 'get back', could you pass this problem onto him, it would be greatly appreciated.
you mentioned about 'there maybe a web server in the dongle for sending traditional AT cmds for administer the connection'.
In the alcatel web login screen in the settings. Software Version: IK40_E8_02.00_02 . i couldn't see anything that resembles where i can input commands, unless you know of a way?
i look forward to your help and keep up the great work. thank you.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » 30 Sep 2019, 17:41

Sorry for the long absence - personal reasons ...

Please be so kind and post the "USB Log" that is generated when you enable logging in PPP Widget (bottom option) and connect your modem.